canberrabirds

blitz post mortem

To: <>, "Julian Robinson" <>
Subject: blitz post mortem
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:05:40 +1100
Hi all,
Paul Fenell and I went out to the Brindabellas on Sunday, with the aim of getting out to around mt Ginnini. This did not eventuate due to a massive flat tyre that took some time to change, but we did cover Blue Range area, Bendora Dam and warks Road.
In the Blue Range area, we heard a butcherbird calling that I though might have been a Pied. But having grown up with the two togerther (in Brisbane) I never really learnt to distuinguish the two reliably.
Bendora Dam held very little, but along Warks Road I got a Bassian Thrush along with the usual suspects.

In contrast to Julians experience, everywhere we went there were Fan-tailed Cuckoos calling. Along the road to Bendora dam, one stop revealed a pair of Fan-tailed Cuckoos (here is a shot: http://www.birdingoz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686; is it my imagination or does this bird look very large towards the rump), a very quiet Brush Cuckoo (both cuckoos were being harassed by a Grey Fantail) along with a female Superb Lyrebird.

Cheers
Tobias