canberrabirds

Black-eared cuckoo dip-athon

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Black-eared cuckoo dip-athon
From: Beth Mantle <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:40:22 +1100
Hi Everyone,

I went looking for the Black-eared cuckoo at Namadgi Visitors Centre yesterday afternoon but failed to find it (does anyone hear the sound of dipping?).  I saw all the other nice birds mentioned by Marnix, including a few very territorial Dollarbirds (see pic).

However, I observed some evidence of cuckoo activity when I stumbled across a Willy Wagtail nest at near-ground level.  After beating a hasty retreat from the area, a quick inspection (from a distance with bins) revealed two wagtail eggs and one suspiciously large pale egg (see attached pic, taken from a distance with my 400mm zoom lens).  It will be interesting to keep an eye on this nest to see what kind of cuckoo parasitised it.

Beth Mantle
H: 02 6287 7860

M: 0407 174 427

E: