canberrabirds

Little Button Quail and other observations

To: <>
Subject: Little Button Quail and other observations
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:33:47 +1000

Went for a quickish drive this afternoon out through Coppins Crossing, Uriarra Crossing,  along Mountain Creek Rd, then back via Brindabella & Cotter Rds. Highlight was a Little Button Quail  which flushed from the roadside along Mountain Creek Rd, about 100 metres from the corner of Uriarra Rd. I had stopped to check birds on a dam on the right hand side of the road, and nearly trod on it. It flew low across the road and crashed into the fence on the other side, I went over to see if it was okay, luckily it was, and it promptly flew off again, disappearing into the paddock to the south. No doubt about the ID, small size, red-brown upperparts and clean white flanks and underparts. Other birds in this area included Bee-eaters, Brown Falcon, 8 Hardheads on the dam.

Earlier I checked for Bushlarks along Coppins Crossing Rd in the farmland north of the crossing. No luck but saw a male Brown Songlark in display, 5+ Skylarks, Pipits, a Kestrel and heard Stubble Quail. Also BF Dotterel at Uriarra Crossing, Rufous Songlark along Uriarra Rd, Scarlet Robin along Brindabella Rd. Not many birds visible on the Uriarra Homestead Dam apart from small grebes, a few Coot and Hardheads.

cheers

Steve