canberrabirds

Kellys Swamp -watch out for snakes etc

To: <>
Subject: Kellys Swamp -watch out for snakes etc
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:27:00 +1000

Popped into Kellys after lunch today, Intermediate Egret reported yesterday was still present. It looks close to being in full breeding plumage with well-developed plumes on its back, and not so well developed ones on its breast. It caught and ate a rather interesting looking fish while I was watching, a long rather thin fish, dark on top and pale underneath, not as long or thin as an eel. Best guess I could come up with is Freshwater Catfish, anyone know if this is likely? Any other suggestions? Also saw a Little Eagle (light morph) and one Royal Spoonbill.

There was a large Brown Snake sunning itself on the front step of Bittern Hide, I think we only saw each other at the last second as the snake seemed to panic and disappeared into the hide. Marnix wandered by shortly after but declined to go in for a look. As did I.

cheers

Steve