canberrabirds

Woodland survey - Gooroo

To: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>, "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>, "chat line" <>
Subject: Woodland survey - Gooroo
From: "Nicki Taws" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:43:44 +1000
I carried out the Woodland survey at Gooroo (north) yesterday (Mon) morning in much better weather than on Sunday. Despite being ideal conditions, like Michael at Campbell Park I was surprised at the low numbers of small birds. All thornbills were thin on the ground (and in the trees) whereas they are usually very numerous at Gooroo. Even Rufous Whistlers and Grey Fantails were relatively sparse. No Robins sighted. In contrast, Mistletoebirds were plentiful, and there is lots of mistletoe fruit although none of it seemed ripe just yet. Give it a month or so and it could be Painted Honeyeater heaven. Crested Shrike-tit and 3 Superb Parrots (a bit passe in that part of the world now)  were the highlights.

Nicki Taws

0408 210 736