canberrabirds

WHITE-THROATED NIGHTJAR & RH at Cooleman Ridge NR

To: "Tobias Hayashi" <>, <>
Subject: WHITE-THROATED NIGHTJAR & RH at Cooleman Ridge NR
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:45:12 +1000
A remarkable set of finds within just one week from an area that looks as little interesting as anywhere else. How many other places like that do we miss because they look ordinary? I would not have expected a White-throated Nightjar from such an open area. Isn't it funny that the Regent Honeyeater is now a footnote to a possibly less predictable species from there.

Thanks for the further notes, especially about its behaviour. I waited around there for about an hour yesterday without finding it. The mimicry call descriptions from Tobias and Alastair, accompanied with association with RW are both well within the previously described range.