canberrabirds

Fyshwick etc

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Fyshwick etc
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:07:30 +1000
This morning (8:30) at FSP was remarkable for clouds of fairy martins over ponds 1, 2 and 3.  At least 100, and giving great views of themselves as they rested on wires and briars.

Near Fulica hide a eucalypt of some species not recogniced by me was in full blossom. This was being enjoyed by at least 50 Silvereyes - mainly Tasmanian race - and a dozen each of Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Friarbirds.  A single each of yellow-faced and white-naped.  I came back past here about 3pm and it was shadier and few birds around.

Of interest in view of the comments about the disturbance caused by bikes on the bike path was a ute from Birrigai trundlig along the path putting out their displays of pond life.  I would have thought that in view of the light weight of the displays and the short distance involved they'd use a wheelbarrow (or - shudder-  just carry them in tehir arms).  But perhaps (a) they don't teach the kids about reducing carbon footprint and/or (b) their funding doesn't run to a wheelbarrow?

Martin