canberrabirds

Nesting raptors?

To: <>
Subject: Nesting raptors?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:33:52 +1000

A US expert is visiting next year to work on accipiters in the Canberra area.  He is working with Jerry Olsen.  In preparation we are collecting info about nest sites of goshawks and sparrowhawks in use this Spring.  I know of a few likely sites and other suspected sites based on frequent sightings.  It would be helpful if anyone willing to cooperate were to let me know (by email) of any actual or possible nests seen this October-December.

As a separate matter I would be most interested in any evidence of nesting Little Eagles.  As appears from the report in the latest CBN, the downward trend in  breeding pairs is clear.  Re-use of the nest at the Fyshwick Sewage Works seems in doubt as the P radiata is dying, and the pair seems to have drifted away from the site, by contrast with its almost continuous presence this time last year.   Last year there was only that site, Roger’s west of Dunlop, and one in Kambah.

Geoffrey