canberrabirds

Replanting at Molonglo Reach

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Replanting at Molonglo Reach
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:59:32 +1000
I ran (OK, slowly waddled) along the bike path through the willow removal area yesterday.  There are no signs of actual replacement tree planting yet although in the area closer towards the Hospice there were a lot of chalk lines on the ground.  If these are delineating the area in which trees are to be planted they are all some distance from the water's edge so will probably be of limited interest to nesting cormorants and darters.  If anyone with knowledge of TAMS activities in the area reads this it could be of interest to get an update on their current plans (accepting that their plans may not be implemented as described).

I did notice one darter apparently (didn't have my bins) sitting on a nest on the S side of the River about 200m E of where the power line crosses the River.

Martin