canberrabirds

Alarm Calls & Reactions to Threats

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Alarm Calls & Reactions to Threats
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 20:06:56 +1000
On the home front of late there's been much kitchen bench discussion about alarm calls and reactions to predators and perceived predators stemming mainly from the Noisy Minors' observations of the neighbours' chicken pen. Large low-flying birds like cockatoos and currawongs are met with a long shrill squawk. Terrestrial interlopers like cats and blue-tongue lizards give rise to agitated cluckity-cluck calls. Have noticed Common Blackbirds use a ratchity call when a ground threat approaches, but don't know what kind of call they emit when the interloper is airborne. Another aspect, often at Kellys Swamp I've noticed that waterfowl and waders sometimes tolerate a perched or aerial raptor with complete nonchalance yet, at other times, the guano really hits the climate control system when a potential marauder appears. Perhaps birds have some arcane way of discerning if the nimrod is hungry or not.

Distress calls will often bring similar species as well as others flocking to the scene. A characteristic which seems to have contributed to the permanent exit of the Carolina Parakeet. I somehow recall that a fellow (down Sydey way?) carried out investigations into these areas maybe a few years ago, but I can't find any reference. Anyone help?

John Layton