canberrabirds

Australian Shelduck breeding

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Australian Shelduck breeding
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:49:43 +1000
This morning I took myself for a bike ride along Woolcara Lane and into Primrose Valley, covering parts of 4 squares in 40km.

The highlight was seeing a pair of Australian Shelduck, on a dam visible from Woolcara Lane, accompanied by 13 fluffballs  At about 150m range I couldn't tell more about the ducklings other than they seemed able to swim well but were very small and downy.  I also saw my first Fan-tailed Cuckoo for the season, munching on something caterpillarish It found on the ground.  Also another 29 species, of the "usual suspect" category.

Martin