canberrabirds

[Fwd: Invitation to a science cafe, 16th September 7 - 9:30 pm, Nat

Subject: [Fwd: Invitation to a science cafe, 16th September 7 - 9:30 pm, National Museum, Canberra]
From: "Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc." <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:08:14 +1000 (EST)
ïM¹~Ë­­ªv÷Íúã_4óO6óO4Ó

Dear Sir/Madam

The Australian National University in collaboration with the Bureau of Rural Sciences are conducting a research project called ?Community Detectives?.  The project is interested in gauging responses to the proposition of volunteer biosecurity detection (?community detectives?), and the compilation of views on how this task might be undertaken and coordinated.

As part of this work we are holding a series of ?science cafes? modelled on similar highly successful events used widely in Europe. These informal lively meetings encourage everyone to participate and include an expert discussion panel followed by open-floor questions, comments and debate.

We particularly encourage attendance from individuals and/or members of local community groups with experience of reading landscapes and working with volunteers.  You might be a farmer, scientist, retiree, naturalist, tradesperson, government officer, bushwalker, and/or a member of a volunteer, conservation, Landcare, gardening, wildlife or other ?watch? and ?care? group.

On the back of our first highly successful science café held in Cairns, we are holding a second event at the National Museum Hall, Canberra from 7:00 to 9:30 pm on the 16th September. This café focuses on the process of volunteer monitoring and may include discussion on scale and coordination, Quality Assurance Quality Control (QAQC), motivation, roles and responsibilities, data collection, interpretation and communication.

We are therefore writing to see if you and colleagues/members might be interested in attending.  We would be delighted if this was the case.  A project summary and invitation to attend the science café are enclosed.

Please RSVP by Friday 12th September 2008 should you wish to attend.  We would also be grateful if you were to forward the invitation to anyone else you think might be interested in attending.  If you were able to forward this email to other members it would be much appreciated, if you don?t mind please cc to me m("anu.edu.au","jacqueline.dechazal"); href="">.  If we can supply you with hard copies of any of this material or stamped envelopes to send out to your members by post please let us know.

Please don?t hesitate to contact us if you want to know more about the project or the science café.

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely and best wishes

Dr Jacqueline de Chazal
Room 1.33