canberrabirds

Raptor Twitchathon

To: <>
Subject: Raptor Twitchathon
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:24:13 +1000
Dear subscribers

A reminder that the above will be held on Sunday 7 September - details are below.

At this stage there are still a few seats on the second bus, and if you are interested please let me know.

While we will be doing a reckie this weekend to sort out a draft route, I would be grateful for any tips on where you have been seeing any raptors regularly over the past few weeks.

Ta

Jack Holland (6288 7840)

Repeat Raptor Twitchathon;  Sunday 7 September ? all day bus trip

The ambitious aim of this repeat outing is to observe as many as possible of the eleven bird of prey species that may be reasonably expected to be seen in the ACT in the one day.  In particular we will be concentrating on the identification of raptors, which many members find difficult.  Some material will be available to assist in this process, which will be based on the Bird of the Month presentation at the August 2006 COG meeting.

As we will be visiting several spots in the ACT where raptors are likely to be present, transport will be by two 12-seater buses.  The point of departure will again be the National Library car park at 8 am where you can park your car for free.  It will run until mid afternoon, so please bring morning tea and lunch.  With the rising fuel prices and clarification of costs the bus hire and insurance, costs will be about $18 per person, including the COG admin fee.  This is payable on boarding the bus and will be dependent on sufficient numbers to fill both buses.  At the Gang-gang cut off there were still a number of seats available.  Would those still interested please contact Jack Holland (6288 7840 AH or by E-mail on m("deh.gov.au","jack.holland"); href="">) as soon as possible.

A draft route and the exact itinerary will not be determined until closer to the day, and will depend on recent reports of where these birds are, though there will be an attempt to stay within the ACT boundaries.  If any member is aware where a particular species can be reliably found and viewed with such a big group, could you please let Jack Holland know.