canberrabirds

Do pardalotes hybridise?

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Do pardalotes hybridise?
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:53:10 +1000
Last Sunday morning, in an Ash tree (Fraxinus sp) in Beach Place, Holt I noticed a Striated Pardalote fossicking through the diminutive, subtle blossom –  the tree was bare of leaves. Have seen a few Striated Pardalotes hereabouts of late. A moment later, I saw a Spotted Pardalote, and the pair gleaned in close proximity for 3 minutes before flying off together. I stood there wondering if the two congeners were "going steady." Such hypothetical thought burgeoned around 3pm when again I saw the two species together in the Ash and they again they flew off together. Yes, we've all seen the two species together in mixed feeding flocks, but this one-on-one gig sent me searching HANZAB for mention of hybridisation but to no avail. Had a look at Schodde & Mason The Directory of Australian Birds,but no dice. So much for wild speculation, I guess. But, never mind, I learnt a little more about pardalotes.

Jomn Layton

John  Layton