canberrabirds

anbg map

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: anbg map
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:37:29 +1000
A few years ago a group of ladies approached me at ANBG. They were clutching a map and asked where the lake was. Judging by their oot and aboot accents they were from east Canada. I began to direct them to Lake Burley G but nope, they wanted the lake : "right here in the gardens"
"But there ain't one" I said, wondering if they meant the ponds in the Tasmanian Section but they did not. "We wanna picnic by the lake, the one right here on the map.

"Gimme a look" I said. And it was a very nice map too, complete with lake. "Where did you get this," I asked. "From the bookshop here," they said. Now here's the rub, the map was of the botanic gardens near Jervis Bay and, up until then, they'd been using it to navigate quite happily and successfully around ANBG. Memo: Do not join a tour led by Canada ladies.

John Layton