canberrabirds

Eurasian Skylatk at Holt Oval

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Eurasian Skylatk at Holt Oval
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:28:59 +1000
While crossing Holt Oval yesterday morning I saw the usual loiterers: Galahs, Magpies & Crested Pigeons before I noticed a small bird 30m away that I tentatively ID'd as an Australasian Pipit. Immediately, it scurried a couple of metres and stopped without bobbing its hindquarters, a decidedly un-pipit like characteristic that had me revising my initial identification to that of Eurasian Skylark. I fetched minuscle 8x20 binos from my jacket and got a reasonably well-focussed view, bird was now about 25m from me. Then, while trying to remain objective, I believe I could discern a little crest. Surely it was the continental model sans the soggy rear suspension rather than Bobbin Butt the Pipit.

John Layton