canberrabirds

Tidbinbilla - 17 August [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: Tidbinbilla - 17 August [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:49:06 +1000
I think the staffing problem was that they needed two rangers up the ladder,
one to hold the koala and another to hammer in the nail

Sent: Monday, 18 August 2008 10:14 AM
To: Mark Clayton

Mark,

I agree with you completely.

We looked for that Koala map which pinpointed their exact location. We have
been there 3 times since the fires and dipped every time on seeing a Koala.
My young stepson would have loved to see one.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen | Senior Analyst Java Enterprise Technology
Australian Electoral Commission | PO Box 6172 | Kingston ACT 2604 | Phone
+61 2 6271 4465 | Fax +61 2 6271 4644 | E-mail

             "Mark Clayton"
             <
                                          <>,
             18/08/2008 10:05             <
             AM                           .au>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                          RE: [canberrabirds] Tidbinbilla
                                          - 17 August [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

G'day Marnix,

I think there was a recent report in the Canberra Times, around the time
"Lucky" the Koala died, saying that there were at least 7 Koalas in the
enclosure. I asked staff at the visitor centre why they didn't continue the
practice of putting markers on a map and they said that they did not have
enough staff or other resources anymore to do it.

(My comment) After seeing the waste of a huge amount of money on the
majority of the so called "Sanctuary", I feel they would have been much
better spending the money doing some simple interpretation like the Koala
map. I am sure most people would rather see a Koala in something like a
natural environment than a single pathetic Brolga pacing around in what is
effectively a regenerating patch of wet sclerophyll forest - after 50+
years
as a birdo I never knew Brolgas occurred in that habitat!!!!! This whole
debacle is another example of the Stanhope Government's pathetic attempt at
conservation. I had an American scientist with me when we visited early
last
month and he was appalled at the way the "Sanctuary" was set up. To my way
of thinking the original waterfowl ponds were far more natural than what
they now have there.

Mark