canberrabirds

Spotted Quail-thrush locations

To: "canberra birds" <>, "Geoff Bowen" <>
Subject: Spotted Quail-thrush locations
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:57:57 +1000

Can anyone help Geoff out with some recent sightings of Spotted Quail-thrush particularly on the west side of Canberra?
Julienne

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Dear Geoff
Unfortunately Spotted Quail-thrush are lovely but illusive creatures. I have seen my 'local' SQ-T only once in 30 years but they are not as rare as this implies. At one stage every time I went into the forest I found one. People do see them around from time to time.
I shall go to my 'local' spot a few times to see if I can get another sighting and let you know.
It sounds as if it would be good to try a location between Tumut and Canberra. However there is a strong possibility you will need to go on gravel roads.
I am going north in November to try birdwatching on the Cape York Peninsular.
I am going to post a call on our chatline to see what other people have seen.

Julienne

Hello Julienne

Spotted Quail-Thrush is one of several birds that have so far eluded me. I will be in Australia in November and hope to be in Canberra at some point - my lady has family in Tumut, so we usually go to Canberra for a day at least - and would be very interested in how to get to the location of where you saw this bird. I will have a hire car, so should stay on the tarmac !

Any advice you can give me you be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Geoff Bowen
Norwich, UK

Kamprad wrote:
I have just seen a male SQ-t close to my home, not on my GBS but I was very,very pleased. I know there are some around the forest part of my neck of the wood and always keep my eye out for them.
I don't know if there would be enough bird species in one day to make an official outing in the area Martin has highlighted but I think it would be worth forming part of an outing say to Tallaganda Forest.  In the forest itself birds are often there but hard to see in the forest. It can be disappointing. Jenny Bounds ran a trip to TF some years ago. I found it very useful.
Julienne