canberrabirds

Birdwatching & Treewatching

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Birdwatching & Treewatching
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:33:11 +1000
Yeah, I watch trees and birds. Any sort of  botanical stuff attracts me, and birds and trees go together, sort of like a horse & carriage  – can't have one without the other. Only this morning, while wandering through the crisp,sunny, tree-lined streets of the better end of Holt (Armstrong Crescent to be exact) I peered into the body of a relatively low-growing Red stringybark Eucalyptus macroryncha and heard the strident cry of a Striated Pardalote It was perched, swiveling this way & that ,on nearby roof guttering then, taking me to be a latter day St. Francis, lofted across and stopped in the stringybark right above my head for a moment before returning to the guttering and peeking beneath the tiles, a harbinger of spring and a bounty of baby padalotes, I hope.

Next, I had close-up views of a foraging Weebill. Good, most Weebies I see are in the high foliage and the prurient little pests won't remain still.

A pair of raucous Red Wattlebirds sundered my serenity and sent the Weewilliam packing but a pair of Gang Gang Cockatoos, standing still as stone, 2.5m from my nose, turned nary a feather. I hadn't noticed them at first. Second time I've seen them in Holt. Other time was in the late 1970s when I looked skywards in response to what I thought was Bob Dillon executing elocution exercises and saw a pair rocking along on high.

John Layton.