canberrabirds

Swift Parrot Survey here, now!

To: Debbie Saunders <>, <>
Subject: Swift Parrot Survey here, now!
From: Stuart Harris <>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:37:59 +1000
Debbie/COG

Gee, what a buzz this arvo!   Was coming home from work from GDE south onto Tuggeranong parkway @ 1640hrs when a flock of very fast, tight knit birds flew right across the front of my car, approx 3-4m elevation,  flying flat and due east toward Lake Burley Griffin.  Light was still good and observed red hint on long tapered tails with swept back wings beating fast!  Swifties!  100% !   I estimate there were between 8-12 though more prob the later, the sighting was about 3-4 secs duration as i then turned off the parkway and drove back to the Aboriginal admin building next to Yarramundi reach to see if they had perched in that area.  No further luck though there were a couple of spp of eucalypt in flower or heavy bud, one Broad-leafed Peppermint the other a variety or Ironbark. There is also a stand of Blue Gum (Sydney?) at Yaramundi reach which i also investigated.  there was other bird activity in the area, many LBBs in canopy including White-naped HE and Brown-headed HE.

Have had regular experience with Swift Parrot over the last ten, and in particular 5 years in and around Canberra plus also Summer observations in Tasmania.
Their speedway flying style, without undulation like other local parrot spp including Red-rumped, excludes all local parrot with the exception of say Little Lorikeet and these in no way resembled that spp.

Here's hoping others will be fortunate to catch this lovely spp in and around Canberra in the coming weeks!

Regards
Stuart Harris
HUGHES

"Everything is relative, everything is valid!"