canberrabirds

Counting Birds at Birdbaths

To: <>
Subject: Counting Birds at Birdbaths
From: "John Gordon" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:42:25 +1000

I have five birdbaths close to the house which are visited by a variety of birds each day. They have a wide range of bathing habits. I have counted a single Eastern Spinebill dip in and out of the birdbath 20 times on a single visit. I only see others e.g. Brown Cuckoo Doves, Whit-headed Pigeons, Wongas  Whipbirds, Satin Bowerbirds, Catbirds, Rose Robin pop in once per day (when they are about) - usually close to dawn or dusk

Many birds arrive each day in small flocks e.g. Lewins, Yellow-faced, New Hollands, Red-Browed Firetails and I’m guessing these are separate different flocks but don’t know

Are there any protocols for counting birds at watering spots?

I spends most of my time at present at my bush block out of Narooma in the foothills of Gulaga (Mt Dromedary) but am a regular commuter to Canberra and a previous member of COG (have recently rejoined).

Regards

John Gordon