canberrabirds

Unknown bird with unusual flight pattern

Subject: Unknown bird with unusual flight pattern
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:30:47 +1000
At 08:27 AM 24/07/2008, you wrote:
A bird that fits that body description and flight pattern well is the Satin
Bowerbird.  HANZAB:  'Flight strong and undulating, birds closing wings to
body between strong wing-beats on widely spread wings, with wing-tips
upswept with every downstroke'.  Young Satins can be brownish.  In shrubby
country where Spotteds are plentiful they can be identified at a distance by
that flight pattern.

Thanks everyone for the responses, both to the list and privately. So far seems to be either black faced cuckoo shrike, or bowerbird according to the various responses. The bowerbird would fit the physical description I think, but do we get them up in the north of Gungahlin as well now? We're talking the road heading east next to the grasslands etc on the northern edge, so that is a long way north for them isn't it?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT