canberrabirds

Ben Boyd NP

To: <>
Subject: Ben Boyd NP
From: "Tobias Hayashi" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:57:18 +1000
Hi all,
Just back from a 3 night trip to Ben Boyd NP on the far South Coast. We camped at Bittangabee Bay, but I spent a lot of time at Green Cape gazing out to sea.
Birds seen included Wonga Pigeons, Satin Bowerbirds and Grey Shrike-Thrush at Bittangabee; Rainbow Lorikeets, Pied Oystercatcher at Saltwater.
At Green Cape there was decent amounts of albatross (mostly Yellow-nosed, but also a couple of Shy and one Black-browed on the last day), White-fronted Terns (3) around the cape, Brown Skua (2+), a 1st year Pacific Gull, streams of Fluttering Shearwater (well, at least one was Fluttering, most were too far out to separate from Hutton's) and a group of Fairy Prions (again, at least a couple were Fairy Prions, couldnt rule out anything else on most birds). And all this on my 10x42 binoculars. Alas, no Cape Petrel or Southern Fulmar a la October last year.
At Bega there was 2 White-headed Pigeons and at Eden there were at least 8 Pacific Gulls. Most were 2nd or 3rd year birds, a couple were 4th year, and I saw one full adult.
Once again, I will be putting photos up, but it may take some time to get sorted. So far, only shots of White-fronted Tern up (www.flickr.com/photos/callocephalon).

This brings my Ben Boyd NP list up to 104 species over 4 visits.
Also present were Blotched Dusky-Blue in the heath and Imperial Jezebel (the latter just off the rocks at the cape).
Cheers,
Tobias