canberrabirds

Tree clearing around Canberra

To: <>
Subject: Tree clearing around Canberra
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:57:27 +1000

I read with much interest Mark’s concerns on the vanishing small patches of vegetation and the pruning of trees due to the response to the 2003 bushfire, the in-fill program and drought.  I also note Mark’s final comment  ‘Are we as a group going to sit back and watch all this happen before our eyes or is there more that COG can do?’.

COG is very active in the area of conservation issues within the ACT, for instance we are awaiting replies from three letters to various Ministers at present.  From my short experience on the COG Committee it has become obvious to me that letter writing to the appropriate Departments is all very well but the letters go nowhere if they contain ‘motherhood’ statements for instance decrying the loss of ‘bush’ within the Bush Capital.  Yet another letter to appropriate authorities may make us feel good but……..  Letters only work if they contain hard data and persistent follow-up.

As a responsible organisation specifically interested in birds and their habitats we therefore need data to demonstrate the effects of pruning, clearing etc on the cities bird life but at the same time this effect needs to be isolated from the effects of drought.  An obvious source of these data would be the Garden Bird Survey but how do we identify the drought effects?  We could identify those areas that have little vegetation and compare with areas that are well vegetated but unfortunately there are very few contributors from the new suburbs of Gungahlin and Tuggeranong with the smaller gardens and less vegetation.

A possible way forward would be for COG to support a project that examines the effects of pruning and tree removal on the avifauna of the area or to examine the difference in species abundance between those older well vegetated suburbs and the newer, suburbs with small gardens.

Any other suggestions?

Chris

24 Bardsley Place

Holt