canberrabirds

Tree clearing around Canberra

To: "Mark Clayton" <>
Subject: Tree clearing around Canberra
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:34:45 +1000
Mark

An excellent message which summarises a very important issue for the City.

With respect to the development opposite Calvary the original plan was for it to occupy a far larger proportion of the site.  Action by local residents caused some reduction but when they asked the Chief Minister - Jon Stanhope -  to restrict the housing to the area of the old Health Services Hostel got a response which more or less said "Simon Corbell has made a decision on this, so go away".

Ever since that episode (plus the GDE fiasco, plus various hazard reduction burns in the peak bird nesting and bush flower season) I have had absolutely no confidence that the current government has any interest in preserving the concept of the Bush Capital.  Unfortunately the Liberal Party is no better.  This has a lot to do with why we now live outside the ACT.

Martin