canberrabirds

Cormorants and the Molonglo Reach

To: <>
Subject: Cormorants and the Molonglo Reach
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:36:53 +1000

Hi,

I note there have been quite a few posting on the chat-line re the article in CT today concerning the clearance of willows.  The story is as follows:

At the start of the year COG was approached to provide advice on the removal of willows along Molonglo Reach.  Jack Holland and I with a ranger from the Lakes Group of TAMS visited the area and suggested that there should be at least a couple of surveys to count and identify the areas that were being used by the nesting birds.  Nothing more was heard until about 20th April.  I was most surprised at the request and indicated that the breeding season had virtually ceased.  The Department indicated that they still wanted a survey so on the 24th and again on the 27th April Nicki Taws visited the area between the two bridges and recorded a couple of nests.  Then on 1st May Peter Fullagar and I surveyed the entire Reach using Jim Armstrong and his electric boat.  We subsequently wrote a report indicating that we had found very few active nests, that virtually all were to be found in Crack Willow and that the timing of the survey did not enable us to obtain any idea of the numbers or extent of the breeding area.  We pointed out that nests that were present during the COG outing on 16th March were in many cases not present and that the vegetation surrounding any nest must remain.  The sites of all old and occupied nests were marked with flagging tape.  At the time there were 11 nests (old plus occupied) along the north side and 31 along the south side.  I have not subsequently visited the area but, as agreed, I understand that the north side has been cleared but not the south side.

Given that the Department was determined to go ahead with the clearing before the end of the financial year it was suggested that it may be possible to obtain a measure of disturbance by comparing the number of nests on the north side with that on the south side, then repeat the survey next year to compare the ratio.  It has been suggested that for next year the survey should occur on at least a couple of occasions spread out over the breeding season. I should point out that the Department is between a rock and a hard place on this one with the need to get rid of a declared noxious weed species yet protect the breeding sites.  In my view the answer is to go about the clearing over a lengthy time period and to replant with trees that will provide appropriate nesting habitat.

MI partners is a group set up by Peter, myself and two others primarily to conduct work on Montagu Island (hence MI).  MI Partners has never contracted their services for money and this was certainly true in this case, in fact our motto is ‘Intellectual property provided free of charge for the benefit of bird conservation’.  The boat was paid for by the Department.  We decided to write the report under the name of MI Partners to distance the survey from COG.  As soon as Jack returns from overseas I intend to arrange to give a short talk at Members Night.  May I point out that Peter and I have both been lucky enough to work for many years professionally on waterbirds.

I hope this clears up some of the concerns expressed over the chat-line,

Regards

Chris Davey

24 Bardsley Place

Holt