canberrabirds

Guinea fowl (Dickson)

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Guinea fowl (Dickson)
From: Anne Carrick <>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:16:44 +1000
Some months ago, when I was walking along Hawdon Street towards the council depot, I saw one guinea fowl on the edge of the playing field.  It was pecking about in a desultory sort of way.  A little later some feral pigeons landed at a feed tray on the edge of the playing field at the council depot end, and the guinea fowl trotted up to them, calling softly, as if it wanted some company.

A few days later, a local saw me watching a family of plovers, m, f and three young, on the Dutton Street side of the playing field.  In the ensuring converstation she asked if I had seen the local guinea fowl.  She told me that it had once belonged to someone who had subsequently moved away, and that now it lived in the gardens of various houses in Hawdon, Russe and Dumaesq Streets.  I only saw one bird, and have not seen it since.

Anne