canberrabirds

Little Ravens, Swift Parrots and a spoonbill

To: <>
Subject: Little Ravens, Swift Parrots and a spoonbill
From: "Leo Berzins" <>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:18:37 +1000
A brief stop at Newline this afternoon was rewarded with observations of most of the Newline regulars (Brown Treecreepers, Crested Shrike-tits, Southern Whiteface, Red-rumped Parrots), small numbers of various honeyeaters (Yellow-faced, White-naped, White-plumed, Fuscous) and sundry other birds. The Striated Pardalotes that have been present there in large numbers for the last couple of months seem to be much more scarce now and I didn't see any Dusky Woodswallows for the first time this year. (There may have still been some but the presence of sheep in the paddock restricted my movements, however, as I always ensure that I cause no disturbance to them, as I'm sure we all do.)

The highlight was the passage overhead of a flock of some two hundred Little Ravens heading north, followed shortly after by a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles heading the same way.

On to the tank at the base of Mount Majura to see the Swift Parrots being harrassed by Noisy Miners. Also present were numerous King Parrots and Eastern and Crimson Rosellas.

On the way home to sunny Queanbeyan, a quick stop at Kellys allowed good views of a sleepy Yellow-billed Spoonbill (presumably the same one that Steve reported yesterday and that I reported four weeks ago) and the young Little Eagle.

All in all, a very pleasant afternoon for an aspiring birder.

Leo.