canberrabirds

Cold birds seen at Charlotte Pass etc

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Cold birds seen at Charlotte Pass etc
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:18:44 +1000
I stayed at Charlotte Pass for an extra long weekend, we all being caught in the sudden weather change and most spectacular snow storms - cold enough for 30-50cm of fluffy flakes rather than the more usual (in my experience) sludge, sleet and sago snow.  The birds were more interesting than expected, including some I wasn't anticipating at this time of the year and in these conditions.  Starlings were everywhere, easily the most prolific bird between CP and Cooma.

HIGH
******
At Charlotte Pass (1800m)...

- small party 3M2F Flame Robins still around at the very top of the road

- 2 or 3 WB Scrubwrens also right at the top of the pass, along the boardwalk.

- 22 young Crimson Rosellas (none in adult plumage) also at the top of the pass and later in the village

- Ravens and Magpies looking dismal in the snow, many starlings not looking dismal at all, and a Pipit.

- and, as I was packing the car for an expedited departure with thick snow still falling, I left the front door of the lodge open.  It must have been inviting.  When I came back in, there, right inside the large room, was a Grey Shrike-thrush sitting on a wooden bench getting warm.

- on the Friday before the snow, in fine weather, there was a single WT Eagle soaring about 100m directly above Mt Kosciuszko (the highest bird in Australia? the highest WTE in the world?)

LOWER
- Kookaburras at 1300m in light snow.

- Silver gulls and 2 Pelicans over Lake Jindabyne.

UNDER 1000m

- About 15 Dusky Woodswallows on the road past Eucumbene dam, with one White-eared HE.

- 11 Aust Shelducks, 4 BF Dotterels amongst Black Ducks, Grey Teal, Coots and more Flame Robins around a dam along the same back road to Cooma.

Julian ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>