canberrabirds

Wedge-tailed Eagle over West Belconnen

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle over West Belconnen
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:43:32 +1000
A short time ago, at 10:45am, all pea sticks and pick handles erupted as a loose flock of some 100 highly raucous Sulphur-crested Cockatoos flew over my part of Holt from the south heading north. As is my custom when beset with such outbursts of Cacatuidae cacophony I hauled butt outside posthaste replete with binos. Immediately, I saw a Wedge-tailed Eagle trailing along about 150 metres behind the fleeing C'toos.

I had a good seven seconds' view before it went into a long descending glide. Perhaps it was headed for a touchdown a Lake Ginninderra, but I dunno.

John Layton