canberrabirds

Honeyeater outing Sunday 13 April

To: <>
Subject: Honeyeater outing Sunday 13 April
From: "Nicki Taws" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:11:09 +1000
Once again the weather conspired against us for the COG outing to count migrating honeyeaters. And if the forecast didn't put anyone off, the 6.30 am rumble of thunder and subsequent downpour certainly did. At Tharwa I was joined by just two hardy souls, both non-members and one visiting from South Africa. However by the time we had waited (in vain) for any late arrivals, we had had excellent views of the target species (Yellow-faced Honeyeater) feeding on lerps in the very lerpy Redgums, and the clouds had peeled away to leave us with a gloriously fresh sunny morning.

We spent a lovely two hours at Tharwa Sandwash notching up 37 species including Diamond Firetail, Double-barred Finch, Brown Treecreeper, Southern Whiteface and Scarlet Robin. Towards the end of the morning a couple of small flocks of honeyeaters headed east along the river so we decided to head up Smiths Rd to the honeyeater counting site. In the ten minutes we stayed there we saw two flocks each of about one hundred honeyeaters gathering in the trees and setting off across the paddocks in true migration style. Just enough to give a taste of what a good migration day would be like, which is what every other day this month has been.

Nicki Taws

0408 210 736