canberrabirds

Cuumbeun Nature Reserve

To: martin butterfield <>
Subject: Cuumbeun Nature Reserve
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:09:07 +1000
There has been a steady flow of honeyeaters over my place most of today, sometimes in quite large groups (c.50). Mostly Yellow-faced, but quite a few White-naped also. The proportion of the latter seems higher than has been the case so far this season.

John Brannan.

martin butterfield wrote:
I went for a bike ride through some of the fire trails in the Reserve this morning to see if there any sign of a honeyeater migration in the area.  There were very birds around but in one area where I had a nice view over Queanbeyan I recorded 10 species in a 20 minute survey.  6 yellow faced honeyeaters flew through the treetops heading more or less East, while 8 white-naped honeyeaters seemed more interested in feeding than flying, but eventually took off - westwards!  The main ruckus was a small but noisy mixed flock of pardalotes and thornbills feeding in a stringybark.

Crossing the Kings Highway, I also went to the end of Ridgeway road to see if anything was moving through there but it was very quiet indeed: No birds seen in about 10 minutes.

Martin

--
36 Challinor Cres., Florey, Canberra ACT 2615, Australia
Ph.: (+612) 6258 6038	Fax: (+612) 6258 6238