canberrabirds

Which binoculars (cont.)

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Which binoculars (cont.)
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 09:33:44 +1000
I hope the list coordinator will permit this promotion for a particular brand!!

In the recent discussion of which brand of binoculars to buy there has already been some positive mention of the folk at the Swarovski shop in the Canberra Centre.  I will add to that with my experience of getting my binoculars fixed up after they got knocked out of alignment.

From a comment by Alastair Smith some time back I was aware that Swarovski can arrange for a loaner pair of bins to be provided while owned ones are being repaired.  Courtney from the shop arranged this for me - it took a little time for the loan pair  to become available, but that is fair enough since I don't know if any other brand offers this form of help.  Despite the bins being shipped back to Austria for the repairs there was absolutely no charge (try that on other products for things bought in other countries) and I have now got excellent glass back again.

Since knocking binoculars seems to be a common occurence I'd suggest that some investigation of repair/service facilities (not to mention careful reading of warranties) should be part of deciding which to buy.  In particular, investigating the world-wide warranty is important if buying out of Australia.

Martin