canberrabirds

More data: talking turkey

To: <>
Subject: More data: talking turkey
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:22:50 +1100

Just a further word on this, as there are a lot of these spectacular birds in the local area at the moment.  The complete bird is on the left.  They are pretty good tree-perchers, equipped with sharp claws for the purpose.  When they move along a slender branch, they need to turn those great feet inwards, as here.  The effect is rather of a bird performing the Charleston.  I wouldn’t expect everyone on this chatline to know what a Charleston is, not that I can do it myself although my wife is quite good at it.  Ask your parents, or maybe grandparents, if you want to know.  According to Gill & Wright, of the Anhingas we now only have a ‘Darter’ (Africa, Asia, Australia) and an ‘Anhinga’ (N & L America).  As the American bird does occur in Charleston, South Carolina,  I checked to see whether Audubon had painted his watercolour there, as he did some others, but in fact he painted this species in New Orleans.  The reproduction, background filled in by the engraver, is at the right.  Incidentally he called it a ‘Water Turkey’, possibly to help sales of his shot birds at the poulterers in the Old Quarter market.  For myself, I’d rather take my fish straight, perhaps a fillet of Cajun Blackened Redfish, lose the drizzled collard greens.

anhinga thoughts.jpg