canberrabirds

currawongs

To: <>
Subject: currawongs
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:25:02 +1100
Hello All,

I will respond to this more fully when I have time later. Now back at (almost) FT work, I don't get to answer things on this list each day. Martin's first sentence is true but only in the sense that there is no overall increase or decrease in total abundance. (In fact few species could maintain a single trend of increase or decrease for many years. That is not sustainable. Ultimately each must either reach a steady state or continue to oscillate.)

My GBS Report makes the trend absolutely clear and describes exactly why the total abundance of the Pied Currawong is stable. The graph from Martin from years 22 to 26 (I think that is what it was) simply show that the change that the GBS Report describes has continued in the same direction in the 5 years since the full analysis of the GBS concluded.

However to take half of Martin's first sentence (something that could be misconstrued), might imply that from the GBS results that there is no trend, would be totally wrong. There is a hugely obvious trend of a change in the annual pattern of results. Again I mention that my GBS Report makes that absolutely clear and describes exactly why. (Or maybe not why as in we don't quite know for sure why but the data describes why there is clear evidence of a trend.