canberrabirds

Mucking by with sparrow pie

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Mucking by with sparrow pie
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:01:19 +1100
Still on the subject of House Sparrows, being accumulators of all kinds of printed matter we have a publication put out by the British Civil Service during World War II. It's a kind of handy-hint book aimed at helping the housewife cope with food shortages, and includes instructions on how to make sparrow pie.

Step one, set up sparrow trap, then remove captives and wring necks. That done, it's recommended you hang the birds up some place for a couple of days. Kind of reminds me of Con the Fruiterer who used to be on TV, "Looka a-lovely aubergines, hey-a ladies! You just a-take 'em
home an give 'em a-coupla days!"

Anyhow, after hanging, the birds are easily plucked. Lop off feet but leave head in situ. It's recommended you remove the intestinal tract, discard or clean, wash and replace in cavity of bird. All other internal organs can be left within if so desired. Then pack birds into a pie dish together with a bit of stock, chopped vegies maybe, in fact, any kind of suitable leftovers to be had in the wartime kitchen.

I don't know why people complain about the dullness of English cuisine, that all looks pretty darn innovative from here.

John K. Layton