canberrabirds

Speaking of sparrows

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Speaking of sparrows
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:40:13 +1100
Over about the past five years, at least, House Sparrows appear in our yard come early October. I usually see them as they trade between a still-bare deciduous tree in our yard and a neighbour's chicken run. There are usually between eight to twenty birds, mature males and females, the latter seemingly in the majority. After about ten days they disappear and we're sans sparrows until early autumn.

Then, come March, groups of up to 20 birds appear on the power lines. They seem to be all immatures/females. Within a few minutes, the group suddenly dives into thickly-foliaged shrubbery. They reappear moments later and repeat the behavior. After a week, no more spadgers until next spring.

John Layton