canberrabirds

A fallen Silvereye & Budge the lizard

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: A fallen Silvereye & Budge the lizard
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:52:16 +1100
At 9:30 last evening, we heard a thump on the living room window, went out and found a dead Silvereye. We understand Silvereyes migrate at night so took it into the light and inspected its chin. We always try to note Silvereyes' chins, because if the plumage is grey then, we believe it's a transient bird from southern Victoria or Tasmania. But, this one had a yellow chin, so we assumed it was a local yokel.

We figured CSIRO probably had enough local Silvereyes in their collection so didn't bother to freeze it. We interred the fallen avian night-flyer in the compost bin. It will contribute to the nourishment of our winter vegies.

Still, on the mundane subject of the compost bin, three weeks back, we wondered what the heck had tunneled beneath the bin. Ensuing observation revealed a Blue Tongue Lizard. Les Petites left food out for Budge, leftover salad, cheese, and milk in an empty sardine can. Accordingly, Budge has become quite tame. No, I don't know why they named it Budge. One time, they had a draconian music teacher who bore the sobriquet Budge. Hmm!

So that's another thing a poor man has to be leery of. Like, while forking over the compost, I need to be careful not to bayonet Budge on the tynes of my garden fork.

Resultant worst-case scenario: Tearful Bratz confront me, "Pop, what happened to Budge? Why is he laying so dead and perforated among the compost?" Still, I will take care. We like Budge the lizard. His profile reminds us of the late, great Kerry Packer.

John, Linda & Samantha.