canberrabirds

Goorooyaroo and Fyshwick

To: COG-L <>
Subject: Goorooyaroo and Fyshwick
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:27:08 +1100
For some reason when I have reason to contemplte this component of Canberra nature Park I always imagine Billy Bunter sqealing "Yaroo, yaroo" as his chume from Greyfriars beat him up!

However, on to birds.  It was pretty quiet out their today although I did write down 24 species which probably isn't too bad for middle of the morning with no blossom and few insects arond.  The second most interesting bird (and the most interesting one present) was DY White-plumed Honeyeater.

The most interesting bird was not actually present during my visit, but had been recently.  As I climbed a steep valley above a dam to the East of the main track from Horse Park Drive I entered a small grove of allocasuarinas (that should give the spelling police some exercise) at 35:12:25 S 149:10:58 E.  A tail-feather from a Glossy-Black Cockatoo lay on the ground and there were many crushed cones from the whistling pines also on the turf.  I explored further up the valley but couldn't see (or hear) the birds.  However it suggests that habitues of the Majura/Ainslie massif might keep their eyes and ears open.

On the way back home we called in to Officeworks in Fyshwick and observed a Common Myna ramming some food into a young birds cavernous maw.  So another dy record.