canberrabirds

Pomarine Jaegers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: Pomarine Jaegers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:14:49 +1100
I saw some Jaegers whilst sailing in the gulf within a km of the 'beach' off Outer Harbour (where the Port River comes out) in Adelaide over the xmas break.

"There's a mollyhawk" I said but then realised it had a white on the underside.  Pretty sure they were Arctic Jaegers but could have been Pomarine as a strong southerly had been blowing so they could've been pushed into the gulf????  I say that because the Arctic are supposed to like the bays and Pomarine a bit further offshore and I'd never seen either before for any sort of comparison and the viewing wasn't all that easy.

Got plenty of squid whilst waiting for the ring nets to fill up with blue swimmer crabs and snook (pike) whilst cruising around so that made up for it.