canberrabirds

(Australian) Little Bittern

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: (Australian) Little Bittern
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:37:02 +0200

Hello all,

European birds are slightly paler and perhaps a tad smaller (or larger? can't remember). Males in particular are more yellowish in colour and don't have such a dark back. The birds also seem to behave differently with European birds being bolder and easier to see. This especially the case when they are migrating as they will use any suitable wetlands, even small mud puddles, they are also more sociable as well at that time of year and often form small flocks. I've had the luck of observing 32 birds circling over an olive grove in which they would spend the night.

Cheers!

Dimitris

PS: If they have been split I got meself and armchair tick as well! :P :)