canberrabirds

Brooks Hill Reserve

To: "canberrabirds chatline" <>
Subject: Brooks Hill Reserve
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:19:21 +1100
This quite large Reserve near Bungendore was visitied by the ANPS today.  The birdlist was quite light - especially compared with the very reasonable haul at the nearby Kowen TSR two weeks ago.  I only wrote down 16 species in 3 hours.  Since a lot of the mistletoe by the parking area was in flower (attracting mainly friarbirds) I had forlorn visions of exotic honeyeaters, but no luck.

The most exciting sighting was not actually birds, but bats.  A flight (what is the collective noun for bats?) of approximately 10 small dark bats appeared and swooped around the trees ad disappeared when we stopped for lunch.  I tried searching for a hollow in which they might be roosting without success.  If any one has any ideas about the species the bats might have been I would be interested to hear (possibly off line in view of the aims of this group).