canberrabirds

Superb Parrots at Holt Oval

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Superb Parrots at Holt Oval
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:37:56 +1100
During last November and December I had ten sightings of Superb Parrots on Holt Oval (corner Southern Cross Drive & Beaurepaire Crescent), but this year, until today, nary a one, although I've had several other local sightings lately. So I starts wondering why and, this morning, I hit on a possible explanation. Last year, I could easily sight the parrots while driving slowly along the road because the grass was so sparse and withered. But, currently, in the aftermath of rain, the green grass provides reasonably effective cover and camouflage even when newly mown.

So, at 1400 today, I stopped, got out of the vehicle and, a few metres from the edge of the field, directly in line with the Beaurepaire Crescent bus shelter, I put up five Superb Parrots, two of which were mature males. They landed in the elm trees nearby and returned to ground feeding three minutes later.

John K. Layton