canberrabirds

A more cheerful note

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: A more cheerful note
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:22:30 +1100
This afternoon I was visited some neighbours and they commented about the "big, black bird" they had seen around.  They described its call, which included a good impression of a koel.  About 5 minutes later our conversation was interupted by the call of a koel outside the window.  That makes 6 species of cuckoo within 500m of our house - 4 of them (so far) within the GBS site.

The same neighbours, becoming unreasonably impressed with my skills, then gave another impression of a bird heard at night.  I have only just checked this up on my BOCA discs but it sounded very llike a white-throated nightjar (which have been recorded at Yanunbeenan, just a few kms down the track).  There will have to be further discussions on this one!

Martin