canberrabirds

Koel question

To: <>
Subject: Koel question
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:43:05 +1100
Hi all,

While most of the posts regarding Koel's don't go into detail about the calls, it would appear that here in Canberra what we are mostly hearing is the singular call of male Koels.

Am I correct in that assumption?

I ask because have recently spent time in Sydney and also Goulburn where in addition to the male calling have heard and observed inter-calling and inter-play between males and females which has elements of the male's call but a lot more variety and volume. Indeed the pair in my friend's back yard in Goulburn are very vocal and quite visible in their amourous pursuits.

I've only heard the kind of calls that indicate female presence on two occasions here in Canberra, (I live in the Griffith area where there have been several records over the last year or so). So I am wondering if the extension of range is mainly done by males who have run out of or even been run out of territories in more favorable areas? Is the expansion driven by a burgeoning Koel population elsewhere (seemed common in Sydney Northern suburbs for instance) rather than the availability of red wattle bird host. Any thoughts?

Shaun