canberrabirds

Wednesday activities

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Wednesday activities
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:34:37 +1100
The day commenced with a Wednesday walk in ANBG.  We eneded up with 32 species and a couple of breedng records.  The highlight for me was a Little wattleburd sittng on top of a bush immediately behind the building containing Hudsons cafe.  Theer was some interesting debate about the reasona red_browed finch was carrying around a long piece of grass: was it building a nest or displaying its potential for nest building if only someone would offer to share it.  We concluded the latter.

After a health-giving run at lunchtime I took myself to Kellys, while the nice people at Beaurepaires made the final repairs to my tyes following an attack by a sharp piece of  Mt. Binya last Friday (The mountain giveth- views of a turquoise parrot- and taketh away - the side walls of the LH front tyre: fair deal I reckon.)  Several pink-eared Ducks and a Great Egret were nice to see.  Australasian Grebes were ON directly in front of cygnus and one flotilla of very young Pacific Black Ducks.  Between Tadorna and Fulica hides i stopped to check a bunch of coots standing on a log in the water and was surprised to find one of them was the albinistic speciment frm Bowen park - or an identically marked one.

Martin