canberrabirds

Black-eared Cuckoo at Jerrabomberra Wetlands [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Black-eared Cuckoo at Jerrabomberra Wetlands [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:27:23 +1100
I should add to my last posting that I believe it is a Black-eared Cuckoo.
After doing a bit of reading online (I haven't got my field guides with me)
I am not 100% sure it is a Black-eared Cuckoo as one source mentions they
don't have any rufous on the tail. The bird I saw did not have nay visible
rufous showing at all until when it fanned its tail briefly. The barring
was on the end of the tail feathers. At one point there may have been a
slight greenish sheen on its back but the rest of the time it was plain to
see there was no green on its back. It was difficult at times to get an
unobstructed view as it stayed within the casuarina.

I can't completely rule out a juvenile Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo so would
appreciate if others could confirm this sighting.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

----- Forwarded by Marnix Zwankhuizen/ACT/AEC on 19/11/2007 02:22 PM -----

             marnix.zwankhuize

             19/11/2007 02:10
             PM                           au
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                          [canberrabirds] Black-eared
                                          Cuckoo at Jerrabomberra Wetlands
                                          [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

1 bird seen today at around 1pm in a she-oak along Jerrabomberra Creek.

To get there drive to the Kingston end of the wetlands. Follow Newcastle St
right to the very end and park at the gate/sign. Walk along the path which
heads east until you reach the creek and casuarinas. Turn left and follow
path a little way until you see the lone casuarina on the west side of the
creek. The bird was in this tree feeding continuously on grubs. Every so
often two Grey Fantails would harass it. After some 5 minutes of viewing it
was chased off by a Red Wattlebird towards the trees behind the casuarinas
on the east shore. I didn't wait around to see whether it would return.

The bird had a distinct black line through the eye from the bill. It had
aboslutely no barring whatsoever underneath. I did not notice any
irridescent colouring on its back although it kept in the shadows mostly.
It had barring on the tail, at one point it fanned and raised its tail to
stop a fantail from harassing it. It showed what looked like an area of
rufous colouring. It was a greyish colour above. The bird did not look like
an adult bird as it had softer colouring. I welcome any comments as this is
my first ever sighting of this species.

Also here a pair of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Java Enterprise Technology
IT Branch
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

DISCLAIMER:
If you have received this transmission in error please notify us
immediately on (02) 6271 4777 or by return email and delete all copies.  If
this email or any attachments have been sent to you in error, that error
does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or copyright
in respect of information in the email or attachments.