canberrabirds

Stubble Quail this time

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Stubble Quail this time
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:54:18 +1100
Went for an early morning outing today and pulled into the CIT Belconnen Campus at 0630 hoping to see the quail I reported from there on Friday as Brown Quail. The ghost of Audubon smiled upon me and I sighted three quail near where I'd seen the birds on Friday and binoued them from 30m. They were nicely lit by the low, early morning light sun and I positively ID'd them as Stubble Quail. As I snuck toward them they took wing and didn't descend for at least 60m. That characteristic (I believe Brown Quail don't fly so far when flushed), plus some delayed doubt about the appearance of the plumage I'd mentally noted on Friday had given me cause for second thought. And, perhaps, the habitat at CIT Belconnen was a bit too dry, open and removed from water for Brown Quail.

John Layton