canberrabirds

Noisy Friarbirds of passage?

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Noisy Friarbirds of passage?
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:28:34 +1100
Oh boy, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I reported how I returned home to find Noisy Friarbirds whizzing about and calling every time I went outside. Apparently, they'd been around for a few days. Different story today. Except for one calling for about 60 seconds in the distance, I encountered nary a one.

Arrived at the Bruce Campus of CIT to pick up Brat #1 this afternoon but was an hour too early. Teenagers can be irritatingly vague about timing. So I took my binos and went birding for 45 minutes and checked off 14 species. Highlights: Blue-tongue Lizard, Grey Currawong, two Pacific Black Ducks waddling to-and-fro along a horizontal limb high in a big gumtree. Olive-backed Orioles building their nest. In a scrubby area, near the carparks, I put up five Brown Quail.

Went to the canteen for a burgher and Coke, and walked up the corridor towards darling daughter's classroom, and was confronted by an angry, impatient brat. "Where have you been? I've been waiting here for twenty minutes." Nag, nag, nag.

John Layton