canberrabirds

Shooting a cat- culling Noisy Miners (& Bellbirds)

Subject: Shooting a cat- culling Noisy Miners (& Bellbirds)
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:54:07 +1100
Hi Coglisters
Some time in the past year we had an excellent talk from a person who had done their masters on Noisy Miners. Unfortunately, I have forgotten his name but others will recall it, I hope. From memory: Noisy Miner groups are sedentary and they collectively defend their territories. Optimal territory is mature eucalypts without understorey set in grassy paddocks. A key inhibitor for Noisy Miners was undergrowth of certain sorts and percentage cover. Bipinnate foliage in the undergrowth was good. The theory, as I recall it, was that chasing small birds through this sort of undergrowth cost the Noisy Miners too much energy. There were obvious implications for approaches to regenerating the bush. I can't recall that patch size was a determining parameter but I suspect that the speaker did measure plots and I am left with the impression that size was not an important factor. Might be wrong here! I have no particular ethical objection to killing creatures with a gun if it serves a useful conservation purpose but it seems to me that a more strategic approach with Noisy Miners might be to revegetate understoreys in areas that they currently dominate so that they can no longer completely dominate remnant patches. Perhaps short term culling and medium term strategic planting would be a good combination.
Con

Kamprad wrote:
There was an article in favour of selectively culling NM & Bellbirds yesterday on the ABC National's Bush Telegraph . I got from the article 1. The habitat humans have made favours NM. Their success is threatening the existence of other bird species. 2. Some flora are threatened as the smaller birds are not there to eat a high number of insects 3. Planting large blocks of trees rather than strips would help keep the diversity of birds 4. The planting of spiky bushes, on rural and town blocks, helps the smaller birds to defend themselves.
5. Selective culling could be considered
Julienne

    Noisy Miners a threat to other species

By Belinda Tromp

Thursday, 15/11/2007

*

Now to the story of a native bird that has become such a pest, zoologists want drastic action to stop them from taking over the bush.

*

Noisy miners - so-called because of their loud screeching - are bullying other birds and animals out of bushland, and in some cases, driving them closer to extinction.

Dr Mike Clarke is a zoologist with La Trobe University in Melbourne, and has been keeping a close watch on the invasion of noisy miners for more than a decade.

He says miners love small areas of bushland where they can mark out their territory by attacking other birds and animals, and it is this type of bushland that we have handed to them on a platter with the clearing vast tracks of land since European settlement.

Miners have an unusual ability to work together in large family groups which use a large network of closely related males to attack other birds. Even kookaburras are intimidated by noisy miners.

The answer is for policy makers to ensure we don't just plant small areas of bushland that favour noisy miners.

*In this report*: Dr Mike Clarke, Assoc. Professor & Reader, Department of Zoology, La Trobe University,